Friday, October 12, 2007

Chapter 3

Reese’s apartment wasn’t far from the park so they decided to walk rather than try to hail a cab. They got to her building and Reese invited Jon up for coffee. They got inside and Reese took Jon’s coat and invited him to sit down. She got the coffee started and came back and took a seat in the chair across from him. As they sat there, Jon couldn’t help but look at her.

“What?” Reese asked feeling fairly uncomfortable with him staring at her.

He smiled, “you look so different from when I first saw you. I just can’t get over it.” She smiled back at him, “I clean up nice.” “I’ll say.” They sat in comfortable silence for a minute before Reese went and got the coffee. She handed Jon a cup when she came back and set her own down on the end table. She toed off her shoes and sat at the end of the couch with her feet tucked up under her. They talked a while longer, draining the pot of coffee in the process. Reese started yawning and only then realized how late it had gotten. She got up and took their cups into the kitchen. Jon took that as a hint and got up to leave. Reese helped him with his coat and walked him to the door “thank you for inviting me tonight. I had a really nice time.” Jon took her hand, “can I see you again?” Reese watched as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. “I would like that” she managed to say. She watched as he walked down the hall. Only when he disappeared into the elevator did Reese close her door.

The next morning Reese went out for her morning run and coffee like she did every Saturday. When she stopped at the newsstand to get a paper, the cup fell from her fingers. She couldn’t believe what she saw on the front of the gossip rags. She was staring at herself and Jon from the night before. Oh my God she thought as she grabbed one of each along with her newspaper. She ran back to her building, hoping no one would recognize her. Perusing the covers she found some of the headlines amusing “Who’s the Lovely Lady Layin’ her hands on Jon Bon Jovi?” “Bon Jovi’s New Beauty, is she Livin’ on a Prayer?” “Is this one ‘Born to Be his Baby’?” that one she laughed out loud at. She wondered if Jon knew about this.

As was her norm for Saturdays, Reese spent the rest of the day cleaning and doing laundry. She was in the midst of folding clothes when the intercom buzzed. “Yes?” “Reese, its Jon, can I come up?” She buzzed him in. She ran into the bathroom to check her appearance, she had showered, but hadn’t put on any make-up or done her hair yet and she was in her most favorite lounge around the house clothes, flannel pajama pants, t-shirt and an oversized sweatshirt. Sighing, she put on some lip gloss and slid a stretchy headband into her hair to hold it back. “Well, that is about as good as it is going to get right now” she thought as the knock sounded on her door.

“So” Reese asked as she let Jon in, “what brings you back here today?” Jon smiled, “I did ask if I could see you again.” She remembered him kissing her hand as he left last night. “I know, but I didn’t think it would be so soon.” “Do you want me to go?” “Absolutely not” she smiled at him, “come in, sit down.” He took up his spot on the couch from the night before and watched as Reese finished folding her clothes. She took the laundry in her room and came back with a stack of papers in her hand. “Have you seen any of these?” Reese asked as she handed the stack to Jon. He shook his head and started to chuckle as he flipped through the papers. Reese didn’t say anything as he made his way through the pile. When he finished Jon turned to her, “how much does this bother you?” Reese shrugged, “I’m not really sure” she answered honestly. “I have never been put in a situation like this before. I only just met you and we went out one time and now my face is all over these magazines.” She got up and started to pace. This is why Jon found it so hard to find someone. Every time he got close something like this happened and things were over before they even really got started.

Jon stood up and went to Reese, placing his hands on her arms he stopped her from pacing. “I know we only just met, but I had a great time last night and I would like to continue to see you.” Reese looked up at him and he could see the confusion in her eyes and the concern on her face. “Look, this doesn’t always happen, but it is a hazard of the job that I do, the business that I am in.” She stood there, trying to process everything. He was looking at her, waiting for her to say something. After what seemed like an eternity she spoke, “Jon, I had a great time last night too and as much as I would like to continue seeing you, I am not sure if I can handle all that goes along with being involved with someone so high profile.” There it was, just as Jon had feared. His “job” was interfering with his personal life again. Sighing he dropped his hands from Reese’s arms and moved away from her. “You don’t even want to try, do you?” Reese stepped closer to him, placing a hand on his arm, “I didn’t say that.” “You just said you couldn’t handle being involved with me.” Reese stopped him. “I said I wasn’t sure I could, but how will I know unless I try?” Jon took her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it lightly. “You mean that?” Reese nodded, “I haven’t felt for anyone the way I felt last night with you and for that reason alone I am willing to try.” Jon couldn’t have been happier. He pulled her to him and hugged her tight.

The afternoon had given way to evening as they had talked about their situation. “Hey” Jon said “why don’t you get dressed and let me take you to dinner.” Reese agreed and left Jon watching TV while she went to change. Twenty minutes later they headed to Delmonico’s and had a lovely dinner and there was not a photographer in sight.

2 comments:

Starr said...

I just got caught up! I didn't realize you had two more chapters up. This is getting interesting and I look forward to more Steph!

Opester said...

I like this slant on the story-seeing Jon actually "dating" for a change-I wonder if that could ever happen tho. I give Reese credit, I'd have jumped him by now!! (Heck, I didn't make my boyfriend wait that long...LOL!)